12.29.2009

12.29.09 - Home for the holidays.

My girlfriend and I returned to the Pac NW last night after a tremendous 11-day vacation in my home state of South Dakota.  I come from a very, very, very small town (less than 400 people live there).  It was the first time my girlfriend had ever been to the residence of my youth and I am really glad we were afforded the opportunity.

I have lived away from home for almost ten and a half years now.  I have had addresses in Chicago, Virginia, and now Tacoma (multiple) during this time.  Regardless, I have not been a stranger to my hometown of Bison.  I have visited at least once a year during this timeframe and luckily am very close with each member of my family (who all still reside near there).  I always relish the opportunity to go "home" again and visit old friends and places of my teenage years- most people do.  However, this latest trip back "home" was quite different (in a way).  The laughs and great times spent with my family and friends (new and old) were very much intact.  My brother, Billy (http://drownbilly.blogspot.com), made us a pot roast and we were treated to countless meals and treats by my saint of a mother.  Delish.  We also saw "Avatar".  Maybe I will write about that soon...quite the "experience".  Beyond all that though, the new feeling resided in how I felt being back in the old hometown and state.  

Some may chuckle, but I place tremendous value on growing up in western South Dakota.  I learned so much about myself and people.  I appreciate what it was and what it now means to me.  It will always be the home of my youth and my family.  However, this was the first time I went back and honestly felt like somewhat of a "visitor".  I do not mean that in a bad way, but in a very new and comfortable way.  What I take away from this feeling is that I am actually carving out a new home in the Pacific Northwest.  I am making a new life- independent from my youth.  I guess that means that I'm getting older, but it means more than that to me.  It feels really, really good.  After ten years of college, moving, deployments and other adventures, I feel like I have my own home...again.     

No comments:

Post a Comment