3.23.2010

The rest of my 2010 Sounders predictions...

I have decided that writing comments for my picks is a futile task.  Humbly, I will admit that the rapid decline in the write-up quality was laughable so I simply am giving it up. 

Thus, I will finish this exercise with the game information and a simple prediction.  However, I feel it is VERY much worth noting that I pick up my predictions in a point of the schedule that could be very significant.  July 15 is projected to be the first available date that Blaise Nkufo will be available to the team after his international duties are fulfilled. 

Nkufo represents (what many feel is) the most glaring piece missing to the Sounders arsenal- a true target forward.  Nkufo is an internationally renowned striker whose nose for the goal should give the Sounders the added firepower and goal-scoring to push far into the MLS postseason this year.  So, without further ado...here goes nothing:

7/15- @ D.C. United (prediction = draw) 6-3-8, 26 pts.
7/25- v. Colorado (prediction = win) 7-3-8, 29 pts.
7/31- @ San Jose (prediction = draw) 7-3-9, 30 pts.

8/8- v. Houston (prediction = loss) 7-4-9, 30 pts.
8/14- @ Chivas USA (prediction = win) 8-4-9, 33 pts.
8/28- v. Chicago (prediction = loss) 8-5-9, 33 pts.

9/4- @ New England (prediction = loss) 8-6-9, 33 pts.
9/9- v. Real Salt Lake (prediction = win) 9-6-9, 36 pts.
9/18- @ Columbus (prediction = draw) 9-6-10, 37 pts.
9/25- @ Chicago (prediction = draw) 9-6-11, 38 pts.

10/2- v. Toronto FC (prediction = win) 10-6-11, 41 pts.
10/9- @ Kansas City (prediction = win) 11-6-11, 44 pts.
10/15- v. Chivas USA (prediction = win) 12-6-11, 47 pts.
10/23- @ Houston (prediction = draw) 12-6-12, 48 pts.
...............................................................................................

I feel like the middle and stretch run portion of the season will be extremely tough for the Sounders.  They will have U.S. Open Cup, CONCACAF Champions League group stage matches AND MLS regular season matches to contend with throughout this time period.  Their legs will tire and their committment to each competition will be tested.  However, I see them finishing towards the top of the table with the possibility of sneaking away with the Supporters Shield (league's best overall record). 

Furthermore, I feel that the Sounders have the potential to reach and win the MLS Cup this year.  They are a very chic pick to do so in most other soccer blogs and prediction columns:

24th Minute (TFC fansite)
MatchFitUSA (one of my personal faves)
DailySoccerFix (CNNSI's Steve Davis' personal blog)

However, putting aside my personal bias and the above promising prognostications- the Sounders are realistically looking at (potentially) an EXTREMELY successful season. 

Now, we have under 48 hours until kickoff!  I cannot wait to join 36,000 of my closest friends on Thursday at the Xbox Pitch. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment