8.01.2010

The maturation of Fredy Montero and some thank yous.

It's been awhile since my last post.  A super-fun-filled summer will do that to a guy...

Needless to say, a few things have been on my mind- especially as of late.  First, the Sounders have been on FIRE (pardon the Ljungberg-inspired pun) during their last 8 matches in all competitions.  It is no coincidence that this hot streak (6-1-1 record) has coincided with Fredy Montero scoring or assisting on a goal in each of those games.  He has been a revelation during this stretch filling in as role of play maker in the absence of the now former member of the Rave Green, Freddie Ljungberg.  His stellar play has been praised continuously, however, I want to touch on something that has not received any attention (yet).

Montero took MLS by storm last season while leading the league in shots fired and winning the MLS Newcomer of the Year award for his efforts.  However, towards the end of last season, his play deteriorated and became extremely inconsistent.  I feel (and am not alone in this assumption) that whispers of Euro-based admiration for the youngster went to his head and became a distraction.

The first two months of this season followed on much of the same path.  Montero was frustratingly inconsistent.  His lack of hustle and effort (especially while getting back on defense) drew ire from the uber-loyal Sounders fan base.  However, someone (I'd bet Sigi Schmid) has lit an intense fire under Fredy.  Along with that fire being lit, Montero has began to mature as a player and as a leader for the Sounders.  He has been more open in the media and on the field as a leader amongst his peers.  This, above all else, I believe is why the Sounders have been on this great run of play as of late.

Couple Montero's new competitive fire and maturation with the Sounders new Designated Players, Blaise N'kufo and Alvaro Fernandez and the Sounders will continue to thrive.
---------------------------------
Secondly, I am not sure I enjoyed a sporting event more than World Cup 2010.  Along with millions of others, I was captivated by the USMNT's run into the round of 16.  Kudos to Bob Bradley, Landon Donovan and the rest of the boys on a tremendous run.  I know I'm not alone when I say that I wish the ride would have never ended...especially against Ghana (again).  Regardless, the three weeks in which the run occurred were (quite possibly) the best time in our country's history to be a soccer fan.  Thank you Yanks, thank you.
---------------------------------
Lastly (for now), I want to thank Mr. FBM from the Free Beer Movement for the American Outlaws scarf.  I was selected as the second best entry in their "How Did I Get Here?" contest explaining how I became a soccer fan in this country.

Until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment